Saturday, March 19, 2011

Airline Food - Fruit and Cheese Tray

On my return flight Thursday night, I chose the Fruit and Cheese Tray option from the menu. Earlier at the airport, I got a Starbucks Cafe Mocha Decaf and a banana-walnut muffin - so it was just as well I didn't get upgraded to First Class (1) and get a full meal. I was pleased to see the packet of sliced apples among the goodies in the tray - they are an "invention" of the agency I work for. The flight attendant noticed me looking at the packet, and commented about how she and friends had noticed the apple slices don't brown. I said that the are given a treatment of a low concentration of Vitamin C. She said putting lemon juice on slices does the same, and I replied that both are weak acids - the wonder of chemistry. This kind of technology is having an impact on many kinds of fresh produce offerings being served in fast food restaurants and school cafeterias.
____________________________
(1) There are only eight First Class seats in the Airbus A319 jet aircraft. I was at the top of the upgrade standby list, but no luck flying home. I was in seat 11D, on the aisle in an emergency exit row, so still lots of leg room.

No comments:

Post a Comment