Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Most Casual Birder on Father's Day

Viewing kinds of jays in a Sibley Guide
My dad enjoys watching the passing's by while sitting on the patio area in the front of his and my mom's house - the neighbor's kids, cars, joggers...even the different birds. I remember out on the farm how any bird that wasn't game and which he didn't know its name was a "dickey" bird.(1) Now, away from the farm and in town, any bird is of interest. I stopped in to visit this past weekend on my way to business meetings in Fresno and Parlier at the beginning of the week. It was nice timing since Sunday was the first Father's Day that I had spent with him in more than 20 years. While enjoying the early morning cool air, I pulled out my bird guide and cleared up a question Dad had the day before about what kind of jay was hanging around the yard - he thought it was a Blue Jay; my mom - a Scrub Jay. Looking at the color plates in my Sibley Guide,(2) the controversy was resolved: Scrub Jay. Seeing is believing - Mom was right.
_______________________ 
(1) Dickey-bird definition.
(2) The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America.

No comments:

Post a Comment