Thursday, September 1, 2011

Look What Hit The Windshield

Tim was making his dash out the front door, ready to make a run up to BWI Airport to pick up a friend. When he did, a Bush Katydid (Scudderia sp. Order Orthoptera / Family Tettigoniidae / Genus Scudderia Stål, 1873) changed places with him.

Bush Katydid
Jan didn't think well of it.

"Where is it?"

"Right there on the floor," Tim replied.

"Where?!"

"There."

I picked it up, and then it flew over by the love seat in the living room, and landed on the floor under the coffee table. It was strange the way it looked as it flew.

"Where is it?"

"There on the floor," Jan replied this time.

"Bye." Tim went back out the door, laughing.

I picked it up again, and held it in the cup of my right hand while I juggled with my camera to change to the 55 mm lens. Jan helped, and I put the bright green insect down on the bench in front of the window.
Tron Light Sailer
It climbed around on my glasses as I took a few shots. I only guessed whether I was using the correct focus sensor as a rattled off several more shots. With that done, I picked it up a last time and gave it a toss out into the dark that was only lit by the 60 watt bulb outside our front door. I immediately went into flight mode, and as it sailed away, it looked kind of like the Tron Light Sailer - appearing to float effortlessly, slowly across the front of the house and out of sight. I wished I had my camera to capture it again - image only.
________________________
I remembered, or so I thought, that there was a Steely Dan album titled Katydid, or something like that. I quick look on the Web and I saw that it was Katy Lied...so much for that working along with the big green insect I identified by Google'ing "big green insect," and described above. Interestingly, when I saw the cover of the album, it turned out to be a Katydid. The Wikipedia narrative describing the one of the songs mentioning the use a couple of times of themes around Katy:

The album cover features a picture of a katydid, a "singing" (stridulating) insect related to crickets and grasshoppers. This is most likely a pun on the album's title; the "singing" of a katydid sounds as though they're saying "Katy did, Katy didn't" although a lyric in the song "Doctor Wu" mentions "Katy tried, I was halfway crucified", and "Katy lies, you can see it in her eyes," which could very well be what the album's title refers to.

I wonder how it came about that a katydid singing inspired Walter Becker and Donald Fagan to write a simile about a "big green bug."

No comments:

Post a Comment