Saturday, March 10, 2012

Early Warning System

Desecrated new cereal box
My eldest son made a short trip down from Oregon to visit grandparents in California - just a few days portal-to-portal. He spent last night at my folks' house, so was there this morning to experience their early morning routines. He sent me a text message with a photograph that was captioned, "Guess what creature had a hard time getting into the cereal this morning[?]"

My response, "Grandpa Steiner."

"yep[.]"

My warning a text exchange later, "...just remember, you will have Mom and me like this in 30 years, and then you and Anna will be the same."

His response, "...And I do realize that we will be in this same position soon enough...in a while though[.]"

Parenting doesn't stop after children have grown to be adults. I find when I look at multi-generation family photographs, that I do some quick math to calculate out how old my folks were when looking at the younger children - trying to figure out where my age lines up with that of my folks when they were that age in a similar scene. Regardless of when looking backwards - the difference in ages then - the difference in ages when looking forward doesn't look as great now - especially when I look in the mirror and see the face of an old man. It is funny how when walking in crowds of younger people or when alone, I think I am young; but mirrors tell the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment