Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Baseball Text Haiku

Note - September 30, 2014: This game turned out to be the difference between making the one-game playoff for the wildcard slot. Oakland needed to lose, and Seattle win on the last day of the season. Seattle did it's part and win, but unfortunately Oakland won as well, ending a losing streak and making it into the playoff's. When I asked my son which team he was going to root for now that Seattle was out until next season, he said, "No one, just wait for the Blazers."
______________________

My son Mike and I often text about the Seattle Mariners game that is playing - he watching it on a regional coverage station, me via my MLB application on my iPhone. Tonight, things were going fine until the bottom of the seventh inning, when I noted a late-game surge by the Los Angeles Angels - four runs, eventually five for the inning. I noted the score in a text, and then noticed a near-perfect haiku structure in the three lines, and with a little cheating,  jotted down the poem:

Too bad, maybe come
Back, in the bott'm of the ninth
Baseball heroics
 
Tough loss, they need to keep moving forward to make the American League Wildcard slot. I hadn't written a haiku in at least a couple of years - I was thinking about that just a few days ago.
______________________
Here is the dialogue: going back and forth this evening, between my blue-colored call-out text boxes - his gray:

0-0 tie so far.

Some good pitching.

Ok.

Bunch of runs scored against them.

Ploop.

Too bad. Maybe come back, bottom of the ninth - heroics.

If we can pull out some of that last night stuff.

***The point of epiphany, that last text from me looks like it could have a haiku structure - inspired, I write back***

Haiku poem in 5-7-5:

Too bad, maybe come
Back, in the bottom of the ninth
Baseball heroics

I hadn't written a haiku in two years.

Last time I wr[o]te one was when I learned of them many moons ago.

Inspired by the game - I hope they win.

Hobbes was laying on my lap with his back leg kinked back.  Just got up and limped around confused by a leg that went to sleep.

That's pretty good.

It was funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment