Friday, February 25, 2011

Human Nature - Last Minute

I woke up at 4:00 AM to finish a presentation I was making at a meeting in Crystal City at 10:00 this morning. It takes about an hour and ten minutes door-to-door from my house to the Gateway Marriott via Route 50 and the Metro Orange and Yellow Lines - if there are no delays. It am giving at least one presentation a week these days - many to groups that are not familiar with production agriculture and how it relates to biojet fuel. (1) So with work days packed and being too tired to do much at night when I get home, the early morning is the best time to get the PowerPoint presentation slides ready without distraction with a clear mind and enough energy. This morning was about as close as I could cut the corners and be ready - I still made it with 40 minutes to spare for arrival to the venue and getting the presentation loaded up, meet the other panel speakers, and sit back in my chair and relax - after realizing at 7:00 that I needed to set up an entirely different set of slides for a different topic than I had been working on, and different from the subject that I have been working on for the past year and a half. Last minute seems to be my nature - human nature - but it has become routine for now.

I didn't know until the end of last year that the Miles Davis tune from his You're Under Arrest album - Human Nature - was a Michael Jackson song. I had know of the song from Davis' album way back in the 1990's. Since I typically pop CD's in the automobile player when driving, I don't pour over the album cover like I did with vinyl records at home in times past, so the song's writer credit was overlooked. Here are good video renditions by Jackson and Davis. Also from the Davis album is Time After Time - a favorite of mine also performed by Cyndi Lauper who was seen on Donald Trump's The Celebrity Apprentice reality television show a couple of years back. The jazz song Time After Time from 1947 was written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne - Lauper added the lyrics.
_________________________________
(1) Examples include: ATA, DLA Energy, CAAFI, Fresno County Economic Development - all looking for information to help them make decisions about biofuels.

No comments:

Post a Comment