Friday, February 4, 2011

The Next Generation Of Pasturists

I have always been drawn to pastures. My favorite text book in college was one titled Forages published by Iowa State University Press. It was used in a forages class where I learned about pasture culture, the relationship between the plants that grow together, the livestock that
feed on them, and how to manage the two together. I even did my Ph.D. dissertation on a topic that involved the effects of sheep grazing on a special kind of clover and how the seed were produced. The leguminous forage plants like the clovers are sources of protein for livestock, and nodules that grow on their roots turn the dinitrogen gas (N2) in the atmosphere into natural nitrogen fertilizer that helps grasses in the pasture grow. I spent a good part of my career after college doing research on the management of clover crops that are grown for seeds that are used to improve pastures. Among the forage legume crops that grow in pastures is birdsfoot trefoil - another plant that I did a great deal of research. I learned a lot about this humble plant that is not as famous as lucerne or red clover, and have published many stories about this species. (These pasture legumes all have flower fairies of their own.)

Flower fairies, most thoroughly documented by English illustrator Cicely Mary Barker, are tiny creatures - the biggest is less than eight inches tall. These specially adapted fairies live in the bottom of gardens, the middle of grassy meadows, and on the edge of distant marshes. Wherever and whenever a seed
sprouts, a flower fairy baby is born. Each flower fairy lives and sleeps in their chosen flower, herb, or tree, and as the plant grows the fairy grows, too. Flower fairies are in charge of looking after their plant or flower - keeping it strong and healthy by making sure there is plenty of sunshine and water to drink, sweeping away dead leaves, and polishing flowers and stems. Barker in her research discovered that the best times of the day to see a fairy are at twilight, midnight, just before sunrise, and midday - the best time of the year to see a fairy is on Midsummer's Eve. Flower fairies are very shy and don't like to be discovered by big folks like us, but can warm up to children if given the proper circumstances. With extra-sensitive ears, fairies disappear quickly with the help of their magical fairy dust. Each fairy wears an outfit made from their own leaves and flowers, so are naturally camouflaged and easily hide in their natural environs. Some report that to begin a friendship with a fairy, it is necessary to leave a dish of milk, sugar, or cream out for them in the night. Personally, I believe friendliness to all pasture creatures - plants and animals - and the use of good husbandry practices that were used before our over-reliance on machinery and chemicals to ensure that neighboring streams and wild areas are protected is a good way to begin to introduce ourselves to flower fairies.

This evening my six-year-old grandson Josiah introduced me to another book about fairies - a favorite of his that his first grade teacher is reading to the class. This one is about The Night Fairy, who was born a little before midnight and who isn't much taller than the length of an
acorn. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the book, but a quick browse through the book's pages and accompanying Website gives the appearance that excellent research has been done to document the facts of this fairy's life. The introduction describes a situation where the Night Fairy lost her ability to fly - a dreadful situation for a fairy to be in. Though very small, it is reported that she is very fierce and determined to do whatever it takes to survive - I am looking forward to learning more about the Night Fairy and her adventures (1). Maybe my grandson and I will read this story in the morning, and find out whether I will be as fond about this new fairy friend, as I am with my own favorite, the Birdsfoot Trefoil Fairy. The topic of fairies must be interesting to young people and may serve as connection that spans present and possible future generations of pasturists. Such an interest may be contagious, because Josiah's younger brother Micah (age 4) is taking note of this blog as well. Perhaps the draw of their grandpa's interests (2), along with the lure of fairies as reported by noted authorities such as Barker and Laura Amy Schlitz (3), will capture their future career interests for pastures as well, where many fairies can be found and which I am sure they will appreciate as well.
____________________________
(1) It may be that I will find as much pleasure discovering as much as I can about fairies, as I have through birding. I can see how addictive it could be to collect field guides about fairies, as I do for birds from different regions and countries that I visit.

(2) If I set my mind to it, I can dream up a pretty good character for playing Star Wars with my grandson Micah.

(3) L.A. Schlitz is the scientist who documented the life of the Night Fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment