Friday, February 4, 2011

PDX - Bird Encouraging Activities Unwelcomed

After getting back from downtown Portland and walking from the light rail MAX station at the airport, this sign stood out - DON'T FEED THE BIRDS AT PDX. How unwelcoming. With all of the efforts to help wildlife recover in the Pacific Northwest, this is probably the first time I have seen any indication of a wildlife unwelcoming activity being encouraged.
I am going birding this morning, my first official attempt in the Willamette Valley. Instead of the coincidental viewing I typically do while in a hurry getting from one place to another - like along the freeway on my way to the airport, I will do deliberate birding at the
Jackson Frazier Wetland near Corvallis. The local newspaper had a recent article about birding at the Little Willamette Conservation Easement. The Willamette Valley is full of an interesting mix of land uses. A lot of people are doing a lot of work to find compatible ways to use the different resources the valley has to offer. When I worked in Corvallis, the efforts a group of us started have continued to progress - so with time, there may be a lot of practical ways to absorb the need for using the natural resources, while still preserving their quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment