Sunday, April 17, 2011

Natural Portrait Lighting Effect

Brown-headed Cowbird
This image of a Brown-headed Cowbird reminds me of a formal portrait sitting where the subject's head is highlighted by directed lighting. Of course, the effect here is due to the brown head color difference from the jet black rest of the bird's body. This is my first sighting of this species - there was one male (the subject) and two females. The females kept working the seed feeder, while the male was perched on the supporting pole. There was a little action on the ground as well, but the three of them were off after about five minutes. As usual, if I hadn't looked out the kitchen window when they arrived, I would have never seen this trio. Like the Red-winged Blackbirds earlier in the year, I think these were transients passing through - maybe the result of the strong winds that came with last night's storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment