Friday, August 5, 2011

Ellie Bogardus - Exterior/Interior Art

A lot of years ago, I saw a television biography about the physicist Richard Feynman, and remember how he and a friend researched and a planned a trip to a really obscure place in the then Soviet Union - Tannu Tuva. Other than just doing it, there was no reason for taking on this adventure. A pretty carefree perspective from a theoretical physicist who was once a member of the Rogers Commission that investigated the Challenger space shuttle failure.

Door bell cat 5275 Nottingham Drive
In an earlier blog, I mentioned a search for examples of art done by Ellie Bogardus - a cartoon background scenery artist who lived in Cambria. But all that I could turn up was that which remained on concrete skirts around man hole covers on Nottingham Drive in front of where her house once stood - street art. I had seen a few of her pieces in local galleries, so knew they existed, but no examples were unavailable on the Web, and I didn't know anyone who owned any pieces. I had even emailed the Seago Gallery that once sold her paintings, asking whether they had any remaining photographs of her art - but I didn't receive a reply. (1) Even though my quest was quite prosaic compared to that of a hard-to-reach foreign land and I am not a physical scientist (only had three biochemistry classes and only owned a physical chemistry book - never attempted master that kind of subject) - it was still a personal crusade, of sort - a contemporary art history quest.

Art on door header, residence art
We just returned from spending a few days of vacation in Cambria, and without even trying, I came across relics of Ellie Bogardus art to add to the previous on-line archive. First, the owners of the new house that replaced her cottage have expressions of the characters around the man holes routed into wood on a placard surrounding the door bell button, and on a header board above the front door. These folks obviously were aware of who once resided within the footprint of their new home whose backyard is the Pacific Ocean. I didn't notice these features last September when we were last in Cambria, but for whatever reason noticed them this trip. The second set of remembrances turned out to be in my brother and sister-in-law's home in the East Bay area. When they were visiting Cambria three years ago,
Three Ellie Bogardus originals - Private collection, Danville CA
an art sale was being held at a local restaurant with the proceeds going to benefit the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve. As it turned out, there were pieces of Ellie's art for sale, and they bought the three pieces shown above. These are poor photographic renditions, but at least give a fair impression of what her art looked like. While talking to Brian and Dana, they mentioned how they had looked on the Internet trying to find examples of Ellie's art, but to no success. Their gain was mine as well - my art quest moved forward a little.
____________________________
(1) We found out this same trip that the Seago Gallery is gone - replaced by the Moonstone Redwood Gallery.


Adding to information about Bogardus, a recent Letter to the Editor was posted in San Luis Obispo Tribune (July 29, 2011) that mentioned the artist:

Werner Koch, Cambria

Under Ellie’s influence there must be a few Cambrians who still resemble the charmed society paintings, the Snoopy film background designs, the many live cats, the ebullient personality and the near-rabid sense of humor which comprised Ellie Bogardus. Lucky were any visitors looking hungry or unfamiliar with our area if they encountered Ellie — they would be subject to her come-to-my-home hospitality syndrome. I found cause to practice that a few days ago. In the market I ran into two college-age Dutch men, just arrived in the U.S. via San Francisco and looking quite perplexed. When I asked if there was something they couldn’t find, the answer was “fruit syrup.” In Holland, it is mixed with water for a summer drink. After starting to give directions to Linn’s, I switched into “Ellie mode” and asked if they minded following me home, where I had a brand-new, unopened bottle of olallieberry syrup. A little later, happily settled on my deck, sipping away on their Cambria-grown and packed product, my young guests looked up with me, smiled, and thanked Ellie for her influence over this gathering. All too soon, they were off to the campground for the first night of a three-week, properly supplied, western U.S. journey.

5 comments:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Mathias Bonnard.
    I am French and lives in France.
    Nancy (Nancy, a small town north east)

    The luck would have it, I read your article about Ellie Bogardus.

    My father, also French, was her husband,
    her first husband in 60 years.
    Ellie and my father lived in the cottage on the ocean.

    Personally, I made a living in 1990 or 1991, in this cottage.
    Since this stay, I hope to return someday.
    I loved the American West Coast ... Monterey, Moonstone Beach, Hearst Castle ("Rosebud", Citizen Kane) ...

    But when I go to North America, I'm going to Montreal.
    Montréal, not the best place to practice English.

    If you want more information and especially more
    Ellie Bogardus images? My father have some paintings by Ellie.
    Pictures were painted in the 60 years.

    I can photograph them and you reach them by
    internet. If you want ?

    There is little information on Ellie on the Internet.

    ...

    I am a draftsman for cartoon movies, video games and comics strips.

    My father is a draftsman and a painter.
    He also worked with Ellie in Los Angeles,
    for the Peanuts, Charlie Brown and Snoopy cartoon in 60's.

    Cordially, Mathias Bonnard.

    My Personal Email: mbonnard2@orange.fr
    (Feel free to contact me, if you wish.)

    PS : I'm sorry for my bad English ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mathias,

    Thank you for your note - it was a great pleasure to learn some more history about Ellie. Yes, I would appreciate any images of Ellie's paintings that you could make for me. The Internet is amazing. I had posted a story about a WWI veteran buried at Arlington National Cemetery, and heard from his granddaughter. Now from someone who lives in France but has this connection across the Atlantic.

    It is interesting that you are an artist, like your father. As it turns out for me, my father was a farmer, and I still have a connection to agriculture. If you have an example of your father's art, I would enjoy seeing that as well - it would add to the story.

    Sincerely,

    Jeff

    P.S. Your English is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog while searching for information on Ellie Bogardus the artist who created the lovely paintings my husband and I just acquired from some dear friends Howard, Jenna and Mary Morris, son, daughter-in-law and widow of the late architect Allyn Morris. http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=3849

    The Morris family were collectors of Ellie Bogardus' work and had many of her charming paintings hanging in their lovely home- a home they are moving out of as I write this note. My husband is there helping them.

    I'll try to upload some of the images my husband just sent me with his phone and post a link if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    It was great too find your blog and learn more about her and see some more of her work. I have a painting by Ellie Bogardus that was originally given to my grandparents from Ellie. The title of the painting is "Protective and Curiosity". I can take a picture of it and email it to you if you like.

    Thanks,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd, Yes, it would be great to have a photo of your painting - I would appreciate it. Jeff

      Delete