Saturday, December 31, 2011

Irish Birding - Deis nua is féidir

Dempsey and O'Clery
It took a risk today, that a work invitation to Ireland will follow in the New Year. The risk - order a copy of The Complete Guide to Ireland's Birds by Eric Dempsey and Michael O'Clery. It turned out when Google'ing the title, the price of the book was $20 (U.S.) less at Barnes and Noble, than at Amazon. I was impressed by the extensive viewing feature for the book at the Google Books - unlike the typical limited access to illustrations when looking at books at Amazon. The senior author has a very nice personal Website that will need some exploration. I have only flown over the British Isles, so this will be a new experience is the details pan out. As always, there is no way for me to verify the accuracy of the on-line translator - the intent was, "an new Irish bird watching opportunity." Another book I looked over a few months ago is: A Guide to Irish Birds by Christopher Moriarty. I learned of the book by going through a sales flier from Buteo Books. The book was cited in Google Books, but not in any detail - likely because of its vintage. A listing of other publications by Moriarty are available. On my Amazon Wish List since 5 July 2010 has been a collection of Irish poetry - I'll wait until the formal invitation comes before ordering this book. (1)
___________________________
An Irish-English dictionary is found by clicking here.

(1) After I received email confirmation of my order from B&N, I looked up the secondary book source and found I could have ordered it directly from them for another $10 less than at Amazon. Super Book Deals is on my book mark list from now on - why give B&N a hidden middle-person handling fee. There are an impressive number of birding field guides available at Super Book Deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment