Monday, April 2, 2012

Free Association - French Art At A Play

The Madwoman of Chaillot by Jean Giraudoux
A few more exchanges with the Director of the Plainfield Public Library. He mentions how the Encore Un Peu painting by Ellie Bogardus reminds him of a tea scene in The Madwoman of Chaillot. I hadn't heard of this play before, so here is a clip from the movie with Katherine Hepburn. The movie setting looks much more elegant than the photograph from the play that was presented at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. (1)

March 31: Thanks for all the info.  I look forward to going through it.  Funny how someone thought she was quite old back when I bought the painting.  I guess in Southern California 50 must have seemed old by the those in the eternal-youth culture. Best, Joe

April 1: When I saw Ellie's painting, it struck me as very French, as if it could have been a depiction of the tea-party scene in "The Madwoman of Chaillot", one of my favorite plays.  That's still what I think of every time I look at the painting. Thanks for sending all the links.  It has been fun reading about her and her work. Regards, Joe

I let Mathias Bonnard (2) know that another Ellie Painting had been location. His response, "There is a mystery about how Ellie's paintings are dispersed." I agreed - the hunt continues.
_______________________________
(1) MIT obviously not only puts on plays, but this year its Division III basketball team made it to the Final Four Championship. I learned of the latter at a meeting hosted by the FAA at which the moderator - the Dean of Engineering - happened to mention this in a passing remark when one of the student competition winners was not able to attend and receive his award.

(2) I also located a book cover drawn by Mathias, it can be viewed by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment