Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hedgerows And An Irish Sunday

I am on a business trip to Ireland, and flew over the night from Newark - arriving in Dublin at 6:00 AM - five hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. My host picked me up, and we drove south to County Carlow. Once there, the inn was still full from the night before, so I ate a leisurely breakfast reading the Sunday morning paper looking out the fourth floor window at the pastures bordered by hedgerows, and then took four half-hour naps sitting on a couch, waiting in the lobby. The room was ready at noon, and another one of my hosts picked me up for a ride out into the countryside and an early-afternoon meal at the restaurant in the Rathsallagh Country House, a Victorian era country lodge at a golf course.

Green are the hills, pastures, and roadsides, 
All bordered by hedgerows following curving paths.

Climbing vines cling to spring lit walls,
Capped by slate shingles tinged with moss.

Hot tea poured through a strainer,
Good conversation of things old and new -
My first Irish Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. The greenery is the basic need to save the environment. The green always attract all of us and also plays a vital role in making us healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it was a work trip, I got to see a good deal of the countryside between meeting places - I would definitely come return to do more exploration.

      Delete