Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rocky Mountain Home - Marvels of Techology

We have traded in moisture-laden blue skies in Annapolis, Maryland, for nearly-mile-high ones in Fort Collins, Colorado. I will have to give some thought whether I want to change the name of this blog, but for now will keep it the same.

Skype encounter of a first kind
Our daughter and her family are on vacation in California. They have made much of the same trek down Interstate-5 through the Sacramento Valley, stopping to see relatives and friends along the way, and ending up in Visalia to see Great Grandma and Great Grandpa, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and kids of Cousins. We had a treat this afternoon - seeing my folks over Skype. It was a new experience for them. My mom was first: Jill setting up the camera and screen on her iPad with the two of them seated on the couch. At first my mom didn't know what to do when Jan and I started talking, but then she got it - a smile followed. "I didn't know such a thing existed," she remarked. The rest of the conversation flowed, still with a hint of novelty. In the background we could hear my dad at this computer in his office calling out, "Nolan," - needing some kind of assistance - unaware of what was happening in the family room.

After a while, Jill got my Dad, and the three of them the seated together in front of the screen. His vision and hearing are pretty poor, but when he finally figured out what was going on, and who was on the screen, a big smile filled his face. It kind of reminded me the one time Jan met my grandpa when we were in our early dating period. He had dropped by my folks house when we were all sitting at the kitchen eating island. I had introduced Jan to him, but it wasn't until a little while later that it sunk in the juxtaposition of me, Jan, being together at my folks house - a similar big smile appeared, similar to the one my dad just showed.

The marvels of technology - thank you Skype. It used to be when people moved across the continent, goodbyes were permanent. Regular cross-country flights can remedy that - even more so electrons flying through fiber cables at the speed of light.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I don't know how to reach you other than by commenting. I found you by Googling Ellie Bogardus. Mom & dad collected some paintings (as much as possible on a HS teacher's salary). I'm helping mom move to San Diego and we're packing her artwork for the trip. She has a large Bogardus (The Shopkeeper's Cat, I believe it's called - very Matisse-like and joyous) and a few smaller ones. Would you like to see photos, and if so, to whom should I email them? I'm at merkjen@gmail.com. Mom and dad used to rent the Rosenlieb's house, which was across the street from Ellie's, and they became friends.

    ReplyDelete