Saturday, August 9, 2014

Local Cuisine - Sagauche Chili Rellenos

The Oasis Restaurant road sign
The last leg of a 1,036 mile driving trip to visit Western Slope research centers and have meetings with industry representatives and community leaders began with a lunch stop at the Oasis Restaurant in Sagauche near the intersection where Highway 285 just branches off to the right from the road to Gunnison. I didn't catch the fact that the Oasis is both an American and Mexican restaurant, so when I saw the menu included chili rellenos, in typical fashion I ordered them (there was no basket of corn chips served with salsa).

The Oasis chili rellenos
As it turned out, the rellenos were deep fried, and the puffiest and crispiest ones I have ever had. The sides of refried beans and rice were well proportioned, but not notable as it goes for taste. I ordered the rellenos with verde sauce, not my preferred option given rojo was offered as well, but it seemed the right choice since these are chilies.

The Oasis Restaurant entrance
When paying my bill, I found out that the place has been in business with the same owner for over 20 years. The name "Oasis" likely comes from Sagauche being north of the Sand Dunes National Park on the east side of the San Luis Valley. The outside appearance is nothing fancy, as is the interior, but the service great and the dish I tried, outstanding. The drive on Highway 285 looks so different without the snow, and the rains this summer have left everything looking green and restful.

No comments:

Post a Comment