Sunday, July 20, 2014

Turn Back The Pages - More Notes On Ellie Bogardus

Race for Your Life Charlie Brown poster
I received a comment on the blog Letters From France - More About Artist Ellie Bogardus from a gentleman who remembers Ellie when he was a child - his mother and her were friends. As usual, when I get a message, I make the ask for copies of her artwork. These messages are just as important as the art images I receive from patrons, because they fill in personal details of her life. I knew of the French connection through the son of her husband, but now  learn that Jean-Marie and Ellie spent time in Italy as well.

I was used to know her and her husband , the time they lived in Italy, my family still owns some of her works. Few days ago I've found some candles (quite hippy looking!) she had crafted with my mom around 1966!! Lovely person! I remember she was letting me play whit inks and colours (I was 3/4 y.o.), and also with Mammut, their dachshund I loved. Cheers!

I did a quick Google search for "Ellie Bogardus Artist," today, and came on a posting by Cima Balser: Annecy, 'Au Revoir'- Longtime Annecy attendee Cima Balser shares her memories of the festival's Golden Years. The post was from June 2008 in Animation World, a Website for... well, ...... animators, was looking back on the golden years of the Annecy International Animation Film Festival. Ellie's name was mentioned in the memoir.

Ellie was a background scenery artist for Charlie Brown, Garfield, and other cartoons are easily found when using her name in Web searches - her name is even cited in press kit photos that are for sale on eBay from Race for Your Life Charlie Brown. Other than colors, there seems to not be much of a resemblance between the animation art, and her art art.

Hopefully, there will soon be more art by Ellie Bogardus to reveal on-line. Maybe more to learn about the dachshund Mammut, too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, how can I send u some pics about?!? I'm that "gentleman"... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send images to jeff_steiner@comcast.net

    Thanks, Jeff

    ReplyDelete