Sunday, July 11, 2010

Quick Butterfly Sampling

There was a diversity of butterflies in the backyard today - a couple were familiar, while the others that are common, I hadn't identified. I found a good Website for Maryland nature that is helpful: http://www.nestbox.com/sections/MDbutterflies/MD_bfly_fast2.htm
Also, a very comprehensive site called Butterflies and Moths of North America can be found at: http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/

Some of the most notable butterfly finds that are in our backyard are: a. Spicebush Swallowtail; b. Red-spotted Purple; c. Crossline Skipper; d. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail; e. Red Admiral; and f. Cabbage White. Notice how half of the specimens were photographed on Echinacea. The Eastern Tiger was commonly seen there and occasionally on the butterfly bush, but the Sulfur Whites were almost always around the lavender.  The Crossline Skipper was a completely new species to me, while I had seen the the Red Admiral around our yard, but knowing its name is new. I didn't remember the Spicebrush Swallowtail, until I recognized it's name from last year when I identified this specimen - just hadn't seen it since. I found the picture of the Red-spotted purple in a batch of images I took last year, so posted it here today after I identified it. A video of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail working an Echinacea flower by clicking here. If you are at least as dull of a person as I am, you can click here and watch Cabbage White butterflies feed on lavender.
_______________________________

Here are links to more information about the specimens shown above:

a. Spicebush Swallowtail
b. Red-spotted Purple
c. Crossline Skipper
d. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
e. Red Admiral
f. Cabbage White

No comments:

Post a Comment