Friday, July 30, 2010

Update's UPdate

Here is a quick report on the status of Jamie Moyer from CBSSPORTS.com per the previous post.
__________________________
Moyer avoids surgery, aims for 2011: Though Phillies SP Jamie Moyer has given up on the idea of pitching again in 2010, he told MLB.com he likes his chances of pitching in 2011 after a second
opinion from noted orthopedist Lewis Yocum earlier this week convinced him he doesn't need surgery.
"He's optimistic with rehab this thing can heal and heal properly," Moyer said. "I like his thinking. ... If I had surgery, it's a year, year and a half where I can't do anything. That puts me at 48 1/2, 49 [years old]. What's the liklelihood of pitching? Where am I going to find a job? But if I rehab and rehab diligently and give it time to heal -- and then prudently start rehab and take my time with it -- I'm ready to go [by Spring Training]."
(Updated 07/29/2010).

Injury Report
Elbow - 15-day DL. Out for the season
(Updated - 7/29/10) 
Fantasy Analysis
Moyer has a sprained ulnar collateral ligament and a strained tendon in his left elbow, which would be a significant injury for anybody, not to mention a 47-year-old. Then again, Moyer isn't your average 47-year-old. The soft-tossing left-hander has continued to succeed at the major-league level despite his advanced age and even looked like a viable mixed-league option at times earlier this season. Still, he has a difficult road back. You can obviously cut him in seasonal formats.
(Updated 07/29/2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment