Friday, February 10, 2012

Titled Drawing - Another Ellie Bogardus

I received another Ellie Bogardus original "in the mail." Thanks to Todd for contacting me and furnishing another example of Ellie Bogardus' art. I wonder if his grandparents or other family member's paths crossed sometime with me or my family during the last 30 years.

Protective and Curiosity, 1980
Todd had come across my blog and wrote that Ellie had given his grandparents this painting - Protective and Curiosity. The bottom left of the painting has a personal inscription the grandparents, "To Bill & Teen From Ellie." Todd's father wrote him that his parents had been to Ellie's house several times with his great uncle Ward "Toot" Fulcher (1), who was a personal friend of Bogardus.  Each year when Bill and Teen vacationed, they would drop by with Toot for a visit with Ellie. This 1980 piece reminds me of the ones that my brother and sister-in-law have framed and hanging on the wall inside their front door entryway.
_______________________________
(1) I received more information today (3-10-2014) from Toot's daughter Jennifer about her parents and family connections that vacationed regularly in Cambria. It is great to expand the biographic background about Ellie Bogardus. I am expecting more photographs of Ellie originals from Jennifer, soon.

I was showing my mom your blog (and explains blogs) and came across this post. ...[M]y dad was the "Toot" mentioned in your blog. He came from a family of eight and his grandma called the youngest "Toot" till the next child was born. She passed away before the last child was born, so dad was stuck being "Toot" to his siblings and "Uncle "Toot" to his nieces and nephews. [M]om was the huge Bogardus fan, and bought all but the large painting, which was an extremely surprising xmas gift to mom. As teachers, it was stretched their budget. ... [M]om and [D]ad rented the Rosenleib's house across from Ellie's whenever they could, and Bill and Teen (dad's sister) stayed a weekend a year or so with them. All the relatives loved to stay in Cambria, and the Rosenliebs made their house available and affordable to mom and dad.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in the home of Ellie, in the 90s, she painted cats and cats, in addition to real cats all over the house in Cambria.
    Very beautiful image, like every time Ellie drew cats.

    Cheers, Mathias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    This is great! I just read this update in regards to Toots daughter. What a small world after all. : )

    Thanks,
    Todd Shearer

    ReplyDelete