Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ellie Bogardus - I believe my husband and I have...

An ellipsis [ ] proves to be a handy device when you're quoting material and you want to omit some words. The ellipsis consists of three evenly spaced dots (periods) with spaces between the ellipsis and surrounding letters or other marks.

It is always fun to receive a message out of the blue that someone has an Ellie Bogardus painting to share. When I checked my email Friday evening, a note was waiting: I believe my husband and I have an Ellie Bogardus painting. Do you have an email address that I can contact you at?
Now my little pet...

Today [Saturday] the image arrived, along with a photograph of the title penciled on the back of the canvas: Now my little pet, who got yours pregnant this time. 

...who got yours pregnant this time

Since there were none, I made up titles for the treasure trove of paintings I received in November 2011 - those recovered from a vacation home in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Based on the style of the artist's actual title on this recent painting, my fictitious ones were validated - perhaps from the invented Cottage Next Door series.

In a follow-up correspondence, I found out that my new contact had "... recently moved in with my father in law and came across the painting while cleaning out the garage." and that, "The painting, along with a number of other items belonging to my late mother in law, were crammed up in the rafters." She continued, "We don't know how long it has been there or how she originally acquired it. And unfortunately, no, we do not have a connection to Cambria. We do love to visit whenever we can get a weekend away from our twins. That place is heaven on earth. 😃" (1)

To me, these discoveries are like narratives between ellipses - series of dots between story strings in time that stitch together additional images and information about Ellie Bogardus' art.
__________________
An inventory of earlier Ellie Bogardus blogs:

Ellie Bogardus - Institutionally Sanctioned, Art Defacement
Ellie Bogardus - Sign of Better Things to Come
Cambria Time Capsule - Sculptor in Residence
Free Association - French Art At A Play
A Plainfield Sibbling - Another Ellie Bogardus
Ellie Bogardus - The Commercial Side
Titled Drawing - Another Ellie Bogardus
Letters From France - More About Artist Ellie Bogardus
Ellie Bogardus - The Lost Generation
Ellie Bogardus' Midnight in Paris
Manholes to Murals - Ellie Bogardus Wall Landscape Cover
The Artist's House - Ellie Bogardus
Ellie Bogardus - Hotel California
Ellie Bogardus - French Connection
Ellie Bogardus - Exterior/Interior Art
Manhole Covers - Ellie Bogardus Street Art

____________________
(1) Background on the Happy Face 😃.

No comments:

Post a Comment