Monday, May 9, 2011

Gallery Place - Picture Perfect

Tenaya Lake, Mount Conness and Mike
I had a meeting with several wildlife advocacy organizations this afternoon. One of the organizations has a large collection of Ansel Adams photograph prints on display. My understanding is that a stipulation of the Ansel Adams Foundation for receipt of the collection was that it had to be available for viewing in a gallery format. Fortunately the group was able to access an adjacent property that had been a delicatessen - and voila: a gallery. One of the folks I met with was kind enough to stand beside one of the exhibits (1) so I could snap a shot - no use of Zone System in my composition. As Mike explained the history of the collection, and made a quick pointer about how to tell if a print of Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico was of high value (2) I smiled at the thought of all the creativity that was on display. I remember once seeing copies of Adams' prints on sale in Carmel, California for, I think, $75 way back when - but who had $75 for a photographic print back then. The display at The Wilderness Society headquarters is fabulous - I will have to go back and take my time viewing the collection, after all, it is just a short walk from a Metro stop away (3).
________________________
(1) Ansel Adams, Tenaya Lake, Mount Conness, Yosemite National Park, California. c. 1942.

(2) Look for a narrow band of clouds below and to the right of the moon, towards the right border of the print, and above the major bank of clouds above the horizon.

(3) The walk to The Wilderness Society from Farragut North Metro Station is a few blocks, and from Farragut West, a few more blocks. Gallery Place in the title of this blog is just a play on words - it would be a much longer walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment